AncestryDNA is a DNA-based test that is known for looking at particular locations of a person’s genome, estimating an individual’s ethnic mixture as part of genetic genealogy, or verifying ancestral genealogical relationships.
In case you have purchased an AncestryDNA Kit recently, before you can use it, you will need to activate it. While with standard shipping, you can expect your DNA kits to get delivered within 10 business days, however, with expedited shipping, you can get it within 3 business days.
After you get the delivery, you can easily activate the Ancestry DNA kit at the ancestrydna.com/activate page by following the below-mentioned steps.
Activate Ancestry DNA Kit at ancestrydna.com/activate
Before you follow the steps provided below to activate your Ancestry DNA Kit, make sure to consider the following:
- Your DNA kit gets connected to your Ancestry account when you activate your Ancestry DNA kit. However, if you don’t have an Ancestry account, you can easily register for one by navigating to the Ancestry website (www.ancestry.com.
- Make sure to keep your activation code handy until you receive your test results. It is to be noted that until the kit gets activated, the processing of a DNA sample will not begin.
- In case you are looking to activate a kit for your minor child, you can visit the relevant page on the company’s website to get more information.
- If you are an adult taking the test, make sure that you are activating it in your Ancestry account only. Also, it is to be noted that only one DNA kit will be activated for a single account, however, if the participant is a minor, it can be considered under an adult’s account.
- Make sure that you have an email address when you are looking to create an Ancestry account. However, if you don’t have an email address, or in case the email address you have is already associated with another Ancestry account, you will need to create a new email address.
After you have considered the above-mentioned information, you can follow these steps to activate your Ancestry DNA kit.
- Firstly, you will need to go to the Ancestry DNA Kit activation page (https://www.ancestry.com/dna/activate/code) on your computer web browser.
- On the activation page, if you are already logged in, you will need to press the Yes However, if you are not already signed in, you will need to select the No option. Then, you will need to log in to activate your AncestryDNA kit. After that, you will need to press the Next button.
- In the provided field on the next page, you will need to enter the activation code and then click on the Next To find the activation code, you can check the print of your tube and instruction packet.
NOTE: Make sure that you don’t enter hyphens when entering the activation code.
- In case a user is trying to activate a kit for himself/ herself, he/she will need to click on their Name and then press the Next
NOTE: If a user is looking to activate an AncestryDNA kit for his/ her minor child, he or she will need to select the My child option, and then follow the on-screen prompts. However, if the user is looking to activate a kit for another adult, he or she will need to press the Someone else option, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
- After that, you will need to enter your Birth Year in the provided field and select the Gender and then click on the Next
- After clicking on the Next button, you will need to follow the instructions provided under the DNA Processing Consent, accept Review and Consent, and then press the Next button to get to the next screen. In case you reject the consent, you will not be able to activate your AncestryDNA kit.
- Additionally, if you are looking to keep your sample with Ancestry, you will need to select the I give consent, However, if you do not wish to keep it, you can select the “I do not give consent” option, and then press the Next button.
- After following the steps in the previous screen, you will need to accept the Informed Consent and choose the I have read the Informed Consent
NOTE: It is to be remembered that participation or non-participation will not affect the results of your DNA. So, no matter if you select the I give consent or I do not give consent option, you can simply press the Next button.
- On the next screen, you will need to press the Yes option to check your DNA matches and get recorded as a match. On the other hand, you can also click on the No option if you do not wish to see or be visible to your matches. Then, simply press the Next
NOTE: People who are related to you are the DNA matches. However, if you do not want to be seen by your biological family, you can simply press the “No” option. However, if you want to see or be seen by your biological family, you will need to click on the Yes button. You can change this preference anytime you want in the future.
- If you want to allow your DNA matches to be able to see your name, click on your Name. Similarly, in case you also want to allow your DNA matches to check your username, simply select your Username. Then, you will need to press the Next
NOTE: If you choose not to be listed as a DNA match, you will not find the above-mentioned options appearing on your screen. Also, if you allow others to check your complete ethnicity, geographical or cultural origins, they can see their ethnicity estimate, including Communities.
- In case you want your DNA matches to have access to all the regions and communities in your ethnicity estimate, you will need to select the “Show my complete ethnicity estimated and communities” option on the screen. However, if you want your DNA matches to have access to only the regions and communities you have in common, choose the “Show only what we have in common” option. After that, press the Next
NOTE: In case you choose not to be listed as a DNA match, these options will not display on your screen.
- Now, when you are in the Kit Notifications section, click the Yes option if you wish to get text updates about your kit status. However, if you do not want to know the status updates, select the No After that, select the Next button.
NOTE: If you press the Yes option, you will be prompted to provide your phone number.
- On the next screen, if you want to receive weekly emails about new information and relatives based on your DNA results, select the Yes option, otherwise press the No
- In the Review section, you will need to ensure that your review the information before you select the Submit and activate
- After that, you can know your DNA kit status anytime by pressing the DNA tab and selecting the Your DNA Results Summary You can find these options located at the top of any page.
So, now as you know the steps you will need to follow to activate the Ancestry DNA, you can easily activate your kit whenever you wish to.